domenica 12 febbraio 2012

Dolce & Gabbana The Khol Collection Peacock Khol and Peacock Nail Lacquer (+ new Intense Khol Eye Crayon swatches)

It has now become customary for me to get something from the Dolce&Gabbana counter every time I venture into the centre of Milan, which is exactly what happened a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately whenever I go I'm so rushed that I never really get the chance to play with eyeshadows and blushes and such, I just run there, grab a couple of things that don't need too much consideration and thought and then I'm out of the department store in a matter of minutes! I think I mentioned this before, but I really wish they had friendlier SAs there, usually they just look at you suspiciously if you start swatching more than one product on your hand and follow your every move.
Anyway, rant aside, I picked up two items, the Intense Khol Eye Crayon in Peacock from The Khol Collectionand the Intense Nail Lacquer also in Peacock, one of 5 new nail lacquers. Of course, being me, they just had to be blue!
I'll start by saying I have mixed feelings about both products. I would love to love them unconditionally but sadly they're not perfect!
The first thing I picked up, without hesitation, was the Khol Pencil #3 Peacock (21 euros), a gorgeous shiny teal. Being a khol, it is soft and glides on really smoothly. When applied, the pigmentation is great, the colour is vivid and full.
Unfortunately, as time passes it tends to fade and smudge quite easily, especially under the eyes. Of course, it's a khol, you can't really expect it to last intact forever, but still...However, if your aim is to create  a lovely smokey smudged rock'n'roll look, then this khol will definitely provide a nice vibrant contrast to black/dark grey/dark brown .
And you know what's funny? It took me hours before figuring out that one of the reasons I was drawn to this colour was...that I was already wearing it on my face!! In January I decided to add to my glasses collection with this pair of new D&Gs (they look huge on the photo, must have been the angle!)...


Khol Pencil Ingredients: Hydrogenated Polyisobutane, Mica, Dipentaerythrityl Hexahydroxystearate / Hexastearate / Hexarosinate, Synthetic Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Cera Alba / Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera Cera (Carnauba Wax), Ozokerite, Propylparaben, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Tin Oxide.


Risking the wrath of the SA, I managed to swatch all five khols from The Khol Collection (unfortunately the black and the white ones got smudged almost immediately against my sleeve, the other three were pretty indelible!). From left to right: True Black, True White, Chocolate, Dahlia, Peacock.
in natural light
 in direct sunlight

Excluding the black and the white, I thought both Chocolate and Dahlia were great colours, although I was hoping Dahlia would be more cranberry than purple. In the end, I decided I already had similar shades so I only bought Peacock.


As part of the Spring The Khol Collection, Dolce&Gabbana also included five shades of nail lacquers, some "old" some new: Chocolate, Dahlia, Wild Green, True White and Peacock.
Although it shares its name with the Intense Khol Eye Crayon, the Intense Nail Lacquer #172 Peacock is not teal (unfortunately, as I'd like to have a similar colour for my nails!) but a truly dark inky blue, with no shimmer whatsoever. I really like this colour. I also really love the packaging of the Dolce&Gabbana nail lacquers: I think it's sleek and elegant, and so it should be for 23 euros!
When applied to the nails, the colour is so dark that in photos it appears almost black, although in reality, you can still tell it's dark blue. The finish is really glossy, as you can see from the photo below, where I'm just wearing one or two coats of Peacock and no top coat.
You're probably wondering why I said "one or two coats". My problem with this nail lacquer is that the formula is a bit thick and at times gloopy, while other times it tend to be a bit runny (while testing it, I accidentally splashed it all over the D&G counter at La Rinascente and trust, the SA wasn't impressed!!). This is the first time this has happened to me with Dolce&Gabbana lacquers (I own three), so I'm hoping the formula improves with age, you know as it often happens with mascaras! Or perhaps I just need to get the hang of it. In any case, it mercifully applies with no streaks and like all of the brand's lacquers that I've tried it lasts for a long long time (a week or more) without chipping or losing its distinct glossiness, something that totally redeems this nail varnish in my eyes, as I have a lot of trouble finding polishes that last more than a couple of days on my nails. 


I pulled out all my blue nail varnishes (I have around 10/12...), but none of them are exactly the same. The closest is Chanel's Blue Satin, though it is a bit lighter and does have fine shimmer, not really discernible on nails. I applied the varnishes really badly, however I intentionally left a lot of space near the nail bed so that you would be able to see the shades in their lighter, more diluted form as well.


What do you think, will you be picking anything from Dolce&Gabbana's The Khol Collection? I suspect the main attractions will be the three shiny coloured khol crayons. I'm not a green nail varnish wearer at all, but if I were, I would definitely grab the lovely emerald Wild Green Nail Lacquer!


Baci,
Anna x

13 commenti:

Stella 12 febbraio 2012 21:27  

The pencil looks gorgeous...pity about the staying power. I'd been eyeing Dahlia, but now I'll have to wait and see it in person before taking the plunge...they're not cheap, are they?? Great photos and thank you for the review!

Replica 12 febbraio 2012 21:39  

Both items are really pretty and would be the shades that I would go for. Its a shame about the lasting power of the kohl though.
I love how the kohl matches the glasses, it was meant to be ;) xxx

MaRiKa G. 13 febbraio 2012 13:47  

Bello lo smalto, credo che me lo comprerò anch'io! Anche a me piacciono i blu sule unghie...ma quello di diego dalla palma era in edizione limitata? Grazie! Marika

L e n a 14 febbraio 2012 04:22  

goog to see there is more than pastels in this spring season. i love deep blue and jewel tones.
thanks for sharing! :)

Jamilla Camel 14 febbraio 2012 12:25  

YOU'RE BACK! I love the D&G Eyeliner - I'm actually quite fond of the line myself. Will check it out at Selfridges when I get home from Japan.

Makeup Magpie 20 febbraio 2012 01:04  

Both look great on you! I have a weakness for teal! The nail varnish looks so pretty & glossy :)

Lipstick Fridays 21 febbraio 2012 19:15  

This looks lovely xx Im addicted to nail polish so think would go for that xx
Wanted to invite you to check out my blog sale xx Maybe we could follow each other xx You have a wonderful blog xx

mineral lipstick 23 febbraio 2012 15:20  

After all something very interesting for all the people wearing spectacles...spectacular make up fashion where in you match the under liner with the specs frame color...amazing...and I love it.

wonderlust nails 29 febbraio 2012 21:38  

I am definitely going to get this, it looks like an amazing colour and the gloss on it is beautiful too.

I'm doing an OPI polish giveaway on my blog and I only need 2 more followers to do the draw so I would love you to take a look at my blog and follow me. You have a 1 in 20 chance of winning and I will cover all costs including postage - not bad odds.

I have also subscribed to your blog as I love the quality products that you use. I look forward to your next post!

www.wonderlustnails.blogspot.com

Blair 16 aprile 2012 15:03  

Bahh the SAs at department store counters are snotty everywhere, it must be a universal thing haha~

23 euros does sound rather pricey for a nail polish. I'm glad that you are liking it and that it's a unique colour amongst the blues in your stash.

MandaJ 11 maggio 2012 18:18  

Just found your blog :) Love it so far!

I'm constantly searching for the perfect blue eye-liner but haven't found it yet. Smudging is my worst enemy!

I did recently purchase Dolce & Gabbana's "Light Blue" perfume though. Love it so much!!


Eat Cake

beauty mood 21 giugno 2012 10:18  

lo smalto è eccezionale!

thebeautymood.blogspot.it

GvN 24 giugno 2012 21:19  

Che bello lo smalto! Bellissima nuance!

Love
Giorgia
www.gvn-styleblog.blogspot.com

Partecipa al mio beauty giveaway firmato Testanera!
http://gvn-styleblog.blogspot.ch/2012/06/schwarzkopf-shake-it-up-giveaway.html

Flores e Flowers

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP